Algonquin is a near-North paradise of 3,500 square miles of forests, lakes and rivers atop the rugged Canadian Shield. This idyllic haven from urban life is easily accessible from dozens of major U.S. and Canadian population centers.
Michael Runtz has spent decades observing and photographing the wildlife of Algonquin Park; the 4th edition of The Explorer's Guide to Algonquin Park is the updated and expanded culmination of that work.
Informative but also highly evocative, Michael's prose demonstrates a love of the natural world and a genuine desire to share it with others. Elevated by Michael's award-winning wildlife photography, this work is one part guidebook, one part celebration of one of Canada's most treasured Parks.
This new edition features:
- Access routes, hiking trails and canoe routes indicated on easy-to-read full-color maps
- Where, when and how to see moose, wolves, birds and other wildlife, including 3 new chapters (Butterflies, Odonates, and Wildflowers)
- Points of historical interest, such as ranger cabins and aboriginal rock paintings
- A feature on climate change and how it has and will affect Algonquin wildlife
- New photography from the last 10 years of Michael's career
- Updated maps and lists of Park facilities and services.
Michael skillfully guides first-time visitors and seasoned explorers alike in this new, expanded color edition of The Explorer's Guide to Algonquin Park.
All the products we sell are carefully curated from years of testing in the field. If we haven't used it, and don't trust it, we won't sell it.
Not only are all orders over $50 shipped for free across Canada, but we also offset the carbon emissions associated with every shipment.
We guarantee all the products we sell. Same goes for any advice we give you. Got an issue with your gear? Contact us and we'll get it sorted.
We beat the crap out of our gear and rely on it in the field. That's why we've developed the Trip Shed Pledge. Any problem, any time we're here.
1% of profits go to our Adventure For All Fund. To eliminate financial barriers to entry for individuals looking to join one of our life-changing backcountry adventures.